Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Dr Seuss v. Homer: A comparison in mnemonics


I was nervous, my palms sweating as I swallowed the knot in my throat. You can do this, I told myself. Just keep calm. But it‘s hard to keep your cool when your entire 5th grade class is staring at you. I closed my eyes, opened my mouth, and the words just started to flow.

This was the experience of my 5th grade speech contest. Everyone in the class had to memorize a book, speech, or poem and perform in front of the class. There were the serious “I Have a Dream” speeches, the nostalgic Shel Silverstein poems, and then there was mine. I decided on the intellectual yet comedic work of Dr. Seuss in Gerald McBoing Boing. It took me a long time and lots of practice to memorize the book. Thankfully, there was a simple rhyme meter, which allowed me to memorize large passages at a time. Repetition also aided my cause. After the hours spent memorizing, I had to decide how to perform the speech, how to make it interesting and entertaining. With the help of the pictures, I decided that every time I said “Boing Boing,” I would jump up just like Gerald in the book. This added dimension to my performance, making the text jump off the page (literally).With the help of these techniques, I was voted 2nd best in my class, and I began to get just a small taste of the art of oration.
Now I know what you’re thinking—what does this have to do with the orations of the ancient Minoans in Crete? Well, I’ll tell you.
Much about the language of the ancient Minoans, a civilization that lived on the island Crete off the coast of Greece, is unknown. They did have a written language, labeled Linear A by modern linguists, but it has yet to be decoded. Their oral traditions, which we are more concerned about, have even fewer surviving records. However, the stories that have survived are some you might recognize—The Illiad and The Odyssey, Homeric hymns recorded in text around 800 BC.  (To read more, refer to Diane Cardon's post on these works)
The book Signs of Orality: The Oral Tradition and its Influence in the Greek and Roman World contains an article written by Stephen A. Nimis that explains specific mnemonic devices within the works of Homer. The first he mentions is ring-composition, which is repeating narrative or thematic elements in hysteron proteron order, or in order of importance rather than chronologically. This creates a ring-like pattern like A-B-C-B-A, centralizing on the middle point. Although this pattern does not have to do with rhyme like Dr. Seuss, it helps in terms of memorization because it is a symmetric plan within the mind of the orator. It also shows the repetition and restatement that is mnemonically characteristic of those ancient Greek orations. (Greek lyric poet Simonides also added a great deal to the mnemonics of the Greeks as can be found in The Art of Memory by Frances Yates)
Also, the act of performance was very important in these Greek hymns, much like my own 5th grade speech. It was what separated orations from texts. The Harvard@Home website, which debuts various research and public addresses from Harvard University, had an article with this statement on performing: “The Iliad and the Odyssey are products of an oral poetic tradition. In oral traditional poetry, the poetic act of composition is simultaneous with the poetic act of performance: the poet composes as he performs, performs as he composes…This is not to say, however, that oral traditional poetry is merely free-associative. Rather, it is premeditated - precisely because it is traditional.” Because a lot of their performance was planned and premeditated, we can see that this served as a mnemonic device, aiding in the memorization of these long passages. Oftentimes we find that muscle memory and brain memory are interconnected. Performance and acting are just yet another way that the ancient orators learned to memorize these extensive poems.
As you can see, there are similarities in mnemonic devices between today and orators of ancient Greece, but I was wondering how the role of mnemonics in society has changed. Today, there is much less encouragement to have things memorized, especially speeches. If we do have to memorize something it’s the cold hard facts, which we are just expected to regurgitate. What has brought about this change? What has caused the depreciation of oral storytelling in society? How have institutions shaped this development? It seems odd to think that mnemonics, the art of memorizing, could be forgotten, but Professor Burton also brought up an interesting paradox in class on Tuesday--Is the oral tradition the way things are kept, or the way they are lost? 

11 comments:

  1. I think that is a really awesome question - "Is the oral tradition the way things are kept, or the way they are lost?" and I wonder if there really is a way to decide, or even if we can, which one is better. My brother Peter recently decided (okay, maybe last summer...?) that he would memorize a different poem every week, depending on its length, and a couple of scriptures. I remember on a road trip having him recite "Those Winter Sundays," by Robert Hayden (see here: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/175758). I think there is something fundamentally right about being able to speak to others beautiful words that have been spoken before, and although the practice of memorization has really faltered in our society, it seems to be an impressive feat when someone can play a piano piece from memory, or recite a Shakespeare sonnet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post, by the way! It was awesome. :) Do you still remember the Dr. Seuss story from memory?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not all of it! But after just reading the book recently, it's beginning to come back to me. =] This makes me wonder about how well the mnemonic devices worked in the ancient Greek society. How old were the orators when they began memorizing and performing? How long were they able to hold things in memory?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think necessity determines whether or not we memorize things. If your teacher assigns you a speech to recite in front of the class, you memorize it so you can get a good grade. If you are a bard that makes a living off of singing and reciting poems, you have to memorize songs and poems. If you are a civilization with no written language, then you have to memorize things if you want to want to pass them on to future generations. Now that we have the internet, why would I want to memorize a poem when I could google it instantly on my phone and read it. Einstein said, "I do not clutter my brain with facts I can look up in any standard reference within two minutes." One of the consensus smartest people to live doesn't think memorization is important and personally I wonder why we think it's so important to the wellbeing of society in this class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think oral storytelling has been depreciated in our society. I can always think back to my child hood when my father would tell stories from his mind. Those stories captured the essence of creativity and a way unified our family as whole.

    As for the muscle memory being a mnemonic for memorizing pieces of literature, I totally relate. Especially with music. I like to move around when I sing or play piano. I bob my head when I get into to an emotional piano lick, I use facial expressions to help connect song lyrics to their intended meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Dane, I think it's cool to have those things on hand though, and show that you've really studied something instead of relying on an information source that might not be available to you later. So when we're tested on vocabulary in a different language, we don't get to use the computer or our dictionaries, and when we die, we don't take those computers with us. That is an interesting point though - but I feel like it's easier to understand a piece of writing if you've gotten passed just knowing the words and can get really into it, like really enjoying singing a piece of music and conveying its meaning when you can stop glancing at the music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer Einstein's method: come up with new groundbreaking formulas instead of memorizing existing ones. How will knowledge grow if we just memorize stuff people have already come up with? Instead maybe we should devote more time and effort into coming up with new ideas and solving problems in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. But what's the point of knowledge if we don't remember it? How many of us are going to come up with new, ground-breaking formulas, and what would it matter if later, they are forgotten?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Dane. I took AP Chemistry my junior year and I'm in Chem 111 this year. Not once have I been pressured into memorizing equations. I've never been asked to memorize the periodic table. We have texts that preserve knowledge. Thats not to say I haven't memorzied equations, since memorization comes with practice and experience. But I agree with Dane because in the real world, its not the people that memorize formulas or procedures or Beethoven Sonatas that become famous. Its the innovators that become great.

    Now unless we were threatened by a "Fahrenheit 451" situation or something, then memorization would come into play.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As someone who has taken and is taking Calculus, I would agree and say that it's much more convenient to look things up in the textbook then memorize the antiderivative of tangent. With no reference sheet, however, I am still required to memorize these things because they are fundamental to an understanding and knowledge of math. And I think the great innovators of society are those who have studied and memorized the formulas and stories and history that went before them. That is how they are able to innovate. No doubt Mark Zuckerberg memorized and internalized a great deal of math and computer science to be able to create the intricate database of Facebook. So I think in that vein there is a lot of value to committing the things of the past to memory.
    Also, I would say that in terms of music, poetry, stories, and art, it’s good to memorize things because we can still learn from the thoughts and views of those who have gone before us. Rachel made the point that there is a great distinction between playing or singing a piece of music while always looking at the notes and performing the song from memory.
    I think there are different uses for memorization in sciences/math and music/stories, with some uses more important than others, but in all I think memorization is still a very vital skill.
    P.S. Sorry this is so long. But it’s a great discussion!

    ReplyDelete