Sunday, September 18, 2011

CREPES!

I had a really hard time finding something I thought I was really good at that would also be worth teaching to others. But then it came to me-- CREPES!

If I know how to do anything, I know how to make scrumptious crepes. Not to brag, but I've never had better crepes than the ones I've made with my own hands. With crepes, the technique, handiwork, and texture are more important than the actual recipe. Just choose a generic recipe (like the one below from foodnetwork.com), and then I'll work you through the handiwork.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk (preferably whole)
2 eggs
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon melted butter (plus more for cooking crepes)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Personally, my favorite crepe toppings are cooked frozen blueberries (in their own juice, with just a pinch of sugar) and whipped cream.

The directions online say to "put the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Gradually whisk in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Cover and let chill in the refridgerator for about an hour."

Heat an 8-inch skillet or pan on medium-high heat. Melt a bit of butter in the middle, swirling it around as it melts so that it covers the whole pan.

Now here's the tricky part: ladle the absolutely LEAST amount of crepe batter into the middle of the sizzling pan. Pick up the pan by the handle and, using gravity, manuever the batter around the pan until the batter covers the pan in an extremely thin layer. You'll only want to leave the crepe for, like, twenty seconds... just until the crepe turns a golden color... you don't want to burn it. Being very gentle (you might need two utensils), turn the crepe over and cook.

And there you go! The perfect crepe.

No comments:

Post a Comment